Thursday, May 1, 2008

Sleep, sweet sleep and Crazy Weather

SLEEP, SWEET SLEEP!
Katherine has only slept through the night (6hrs of sleep is considered sleeping through the night according to the books) a few times and rarely two nights in a row. It has been taking it's toll on Dennis & I for some time now. We joke that she's just giving us a little tease on the rare occasion that she does sleep through the night. I'm sure it is a necessary light at the end of the tunnel that we need to get a glimpse of every now and then. One day we'll be past this phase....hopefully sooner than later!

We've tried just about anything to try to help her get back to sleep. Unfortunately, nursing seems to be what she wants, which is another thing I'd love to see end (that's a whole different topic). We tried crying-it-out (CIO) with her, but that only made her worse. It got to the point where she didn't want to be put down at all. It worked great with Elizabeth, but Katherine is not Elizabeth. Not to mention that Katherine has some lungs on her! One day while she was CIO at nap time I went to check the mail and I could hear her clearly at the mail box. YIKES!

So why am I so exited this morning? She slept through the night!!!! I'm sure it's just a lucky break and tonight will be back to the normal 2-3 wake ups, but last night Katherine slept from 9:30pm to 5am. I really think that she would have slept even longer if the heaters had not kicked on this morning. Got to love light sleepers, NOT! I'm hoping that they (both girls) out grow that one day. Maybe when they are teenagers and want to sleep until noon. Haha!

CRAZY WEATHER!
Yes, you read correctly above that the heaters were kicking on this morning. I know it's the first day of May and our average temperature during the day is in the 70's, but that hasn't exactly been the norm this year. We had weather in the low 80's last week followed by severe thunder storms/tornadoes, followed by a cold snap that sent us back into the upper 30's at night with highs in the low 50's. That has been a pretty typical trend for our weather this year. This morning we were in the low 40's but the high today is in the upper 70's! INSANE!

Trying to guess what it's going to do has made things interesting. Do I dress the girls in short sleeves or long sleeves? Pants, capris , or shorts? Switch from AC to heater at night and switch back to AC mid day or just open the windows? Jackets or no jackets? I'm sure you can imagine there are more questions along those lines.

Then of course with the wacky weather comes a lot of colds and allergies! Dennis is the one that has started the cold bug at our house this round. I'm sure at some point at least one of the girls or I will get it. I can handle the weather changes, but the colds that come hand and hand with them are getting a little old. It would be nice for everyone in this household to stay well for longer than two weeks!

No comments:

Summary of What We've Been Up to...

For those of you who are new to our blog, WELCOME! Here are few posts that can quickly catch you up.

"Happy Holidays 2010"
"Christmas 2009"
"Happy Holidays 2008"
"A Quick Catch Up!"