Monday, May 5, 2008

The Girl's Garden


This year I thought that it would be fun to see if the girls would enjoy planting seeds and watching them grow. A few of our friends had done it in the past and the kids had really enjoyed it, but lost interest once the plant completely sprouted. I was able to find little individual starter cups that had seeds included for only 99 cents. You can't beat that for an inexpensive fun kids project. I picked out a gigantic sunflower one for Elizabeth and a dwarf sunflower one for Katherine.

About 2 weeks ago we soaked the little soil pellet and E poked the seeds into the soil. I put the little clear plastic top back on it and set them in the kitchen window. There is plenty of sun in that window! I knew that Katherine wasn't going to really care much about them, but Elizabeth diligently asked multiple times a day to see the seeds had sprouted. I was amazed to see that the seed had started to sprout in just 24 hours. In about 3 days we had little plants in both little cups. You'd think that Elizabeth would loose a little interest, but instead she was even more insistent about checking their progress and made sure that we watered them every day. At one point she even offered me the remaining dinner on her plate because the plants might be hungry instead of thirsty. Very cute! I assured her that they had everything they needed.

This weekend we transplanted them from the little cups to a planter in the back yard. We also added some other seeds in another planter. I am hoping that we'll see those spouting in the next week. Last night I forgot to water them until Dennis mentioned it and Elizabeth had to join me. She was so excited check on them. I'm just glad that the bunnies didn't decide that they would make a good meal. I think that would have devastated Elizabeth.

I have added a new gallery with pictures from our gardening adventure this weekend. I hope to add more to this gallery as the growth of the plants progresses. I hope that we are able to get some nice sunflowers. I know that Elizabeth would be absolutely tickled with that!

No comments:

Summary of What We've Been Up to...

For those of you who are new to our blog, WELCOME! Here are few posts that can quickly catch you up.

"Happy Holidays 2010"
"Christmas 2009"
"Happy Holidays 2008"
"A Quick Catch Up!"