Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Leaves Here, Leaves There, Leaves Everywhere

It is finally Fall! Fall is one of my favorite times of year. The leaves really started to change while my Mom was here visiting. I wish I could say the same for the temperatures. It was in the low 70's for most of her visit. This week is quite different. We've officially had a few nights in the 30's and today's high is in the mid 50's. I'm so glad to finally have fall temperatures.

The girls have been having a blast with the leaves. We went for a walk yesterday and they loved the sound of the dried leaves crunching under their feet. The did a great job of playing follow the leader as they tried to step on all of the same leaves. Of course, giggling all the way! Elizabeth even pointed out that it was raining leaves.

Elizabeth and I collected a large variety of brilliantly colored leaves of all shapes and sizes. I initially thought we might try to put them on the sliding glass door, but realized that Katherine would probably love to crunch them up as they dried. Several weeks ago I found a package of fall colored silk leaves in the Target dollar bins, so I decided those would be the ones that we'd put up on the sliding glass door. It's a good thing that I didn't use real leaves because as I had expected, Katherine has pulled off every leaf that she can reach. Every afternoon, Elizabeth and I put some more up and when Katherine gets up from her nap she promptly removes a few. I think that they are having quite a good time with it.

Last year I had placed the leaves we collected into a large hurricane candle holder. They dried beautifully and maintained most of their brilliant colors. I kept moving them around to display the various beautiful colors throughout the season. Elizabeth helped me place many of the leaves we collected on our walk into the hurricane candle holder. She has asked to see the leaves several times since then.


I'm looking forward to a very chilly Halloween Trick-or-Treating adventure on Friday.

No comments:

Summary of What We've Been Up to...

For those of you who are new to our blog, WELCOME! Here are few posts that can quickly catch you up.

"Happy Holidays 2010"
"Christmas 2009"
"Happy Holidays 2008"
"A Quick Catch Up!"